Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Circular Run

A Dr Suess rhyme,
comes to my mind,
why do you like to run, run, run?
I run for fun in the hot hot sun.
Or maybe Dr Suess is not what I'm thinking,
someone said when the cramp comes you should be winking,
or smile your way through the beauty of pain,
go run your heart out in rain or hail.
Or that time when my dad read a book on running,
and found his interest was waning,
he said he didn't know what the fuss was about,
that Haruki Murakami chap only wrote about doubt,
which then makes me doubt that guy with the GPS watch,
it goes beep beep beep every mile that I'm wrought,
he comes back to me to help pace my run,
I doubt I'll ever tell him that I run for fun,
He tells me his life story at mile 8 and a half,
beep beep beep at plot points and heightened tension in the calf,
I think about how historically there have been incidents,
Yukio Mishima was a writer who once made a commitment,
to commit seppuku before he grew old,
and he followed through and left a gaping literary hole,
does that mean then that I need a spectacular reason to run?
I'm running to cure cancer, and I hear a shout, "On yer left, you bums!"
Whatever, you moron, you think you're Lance Armstrong on a bike,
you think you have biceps, you think you want to fight?
But no one says anything and the road is a slow weary wind,
I see that bend near the creek, now I will push, I will grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment